Wednesday, September 26, 2007

IFES World Assembly 2007, Hamilton, Canada: In Christ, Into the World

In July, I spent a wonderful 2 weeks in Hamilton, Ontario – in Canada – attending the 2007 IFES (International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) World Assembly which is held once every 4 years. I had the immense privilege of sharing in fellowship with over 600 followers of Christ from a total of nearly 150 countries! God graciously granted me the opportunity to be a delegate from NZ representing Tertiary Students Christian Fellowship (TSCF), which is affiliated with IFES. Many people were involved in sending me there by sponsoring me and praying for me – I am most grateful to them.

I was so encouraged to be at World Assembly, the only way to describe the experience is that it was simply life-changing. I was challenged to remain faithful to the teaching of God’s Word in small groups, to engage with the intellectual facility of university life, to servant leadership and to consider the ministry of reconciliation (not division) that is epitomized in the incarnation of Christ. It was an immeasurable privilege to meet students and staffworkers who followed Jesus regardless of the cost. It gave me a greater understanding of how the Gospel of Jesus should compel an unwavering, unconditional devotion from those of us who have believed.

Most of all, I was encouraged to hold out the Gospel of Jesus right where God has placed me. When at World Assembly, I was challenged by missionaries crossing cultural, physical and safety borders to proclaim Jesus to students all over the world. I was challenged to consider such a ministry in the future. More than that, however, God placed upon my heart a burden for my own campus – Auckland University of Technology – for every student and staff; a calling to servanthood and reconciliation with everyone I come into contact with. It’s very hard to put into words. I only pray that my life will embody what God has taught me through being at WA 2007.

I have a 9-page reflection write-up of World Assembly that I eventually penned out – please contact me if you would like to receive a copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home