i'm not guilty, just grown up!
It’s that time of our lives again – the family holiday – sometime in Dec! We haven’t quite had a family holiday proper for the past 3 years – apart from a somewhat dubious week away in April last year when Sarah was here. Our family holidays are always tentative times – it seems like the 4 of us have our own individual agendas and expectations for the holiday, and I sincerely doubt any of them are ever met. Perhaps, this summer, we should set some expectations and see that they’re all met. I feel tenticley tentative already thinking about it.
My dad always wants to ‘do stuff’. I’ll be darned if it isn’t the Singaporean within him that always wants to see every tourist attraction in the vicinity of our B&B. He could do with some lessons on ‘The Art of Doing Naff-all.’ My dear mother, as usual, is quietly submissive to such excursions but deep down inside I know she wants to sit down quietly and read, preferably indoors with the occasional foray outside for fresh air. My sister loves shopping and topping up her tan in the sun, reading or just sleeping. I can’t say that I disagree at all. Shopping’s great – if only we had the cash. You’ve gotta love sleeping though. That’s my idea of a dream holiday – sun, sea, shopping, seafood… and the other S word that appears when the 'family' in ‘family holiday’ = me + my wife............S for Soccer, of course!! Tee hee.
(Back to being serious) I often feel guilty for not particularly wanting to go away with my family. I often wish my parents would go away by themselves and not miss us. I don’t like feeling bad for not having the desire to do everything my parents want us to do. (Boy, I sound like a 13 year old kid) Somehow, as a 23 year old who never really outwardly rebelled against his parents, it’s all coming out now. Most other parents seem to have to deal with pretty watery crap from their kids. I’m blogging as the kid who used to say sorry every time there was conflict, even if he wasn’t in the wrong. That kid doesn’t quite have the energy (or the humility) to do that anymore. That kid is worn weary from the journey, and is quite afraid that he doesn’t have much more grace left in him, and that his family will get all the scraps.
My dad always wants to ‘do stuff’. I’ll be darned if it isn’t the Singaporean within him that always wants to see every tourist attraction in the vicinity of our B&B. He could do with some lessons on ‘The Art of Doing Naff-all.’ My dear mother, as usual, is quietly submissive to such excursions but deep down inside I know she wants to sit down quietly and read, preferably indoors with the occasional foray outside for fresh air. My sister loves shopping and topping up her tan in the sun, reading or just sleeping. I can’t say that I disagree at all. Shopping’s great – if only we had the cash. You’ve gotta love sleeping though. That’s my idea of a dream holiday – sun, sea, shopping, seafood… and the other S word that appears when the 'family' in ‘family holiday’ = me + my wife............S for Soccer, of course!! Tee hee.
(Back to being serious) I often feel guilty for not particularly wanting to go away with my family. I often wish my parents would go away by themselves and not miss us. I don’t like feeling bad for not having the desire to do everything my parents want us to do. (Boy, I sound like a 13 year old kid) Somehow, as a 23 year old who never really outwardly rebelled against his parents, it’s all coming out now. Most other parents seem to have to deal with pretty watery crap from their kids. I’m blogging as the kid who used to say sorry every time there was conflict, even if he wasn’t in the wrong. That kid doesn’t quite have the energy (or the humility) to do that anymore. That kid is worn weary from the journey, and is quite afraid that he doesn’t have much more grace left in him, and that his family will get all the scraps.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home